Health and Social Care
A BTEC in Health and Social Care will allow students to develop their work-related skills and knowledge, covering more advanced issues and topics. It explores, in detail, many areas of Health and Social Care, and students have the opportunity to take specialist units in the care of babies and young children. For those who want to build a career in Health and Social Care, the OCR Cambridge Technical at Level 3 will provide a thorough introduction to the skills, knowledge and understanding required.
To achieve the full award students need to successfully complete 6 units of work from the following list:
- Developing Effective Communication
- Physiological Disorders
- Dealing with Challenging Behaviour
- Nutrition for Health & Social Care
- Development through the Life Stage
- Equality, Diversity and Rights
- Psychological Approaches to Care
- Health, Safety and Security
- Working in the Health Sector
- Working in Social Care
- Caring for children and Young People
All units are centre-assessed and externally moderated by OCR. There are no timetabled exams for this qualification; candidates may complete units at a time that suits the centre. The full award and units from this qualification are graded as Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Students will be completing coursework assignments at regular occasions which are graded forms part of their final mark.
Other homework will be set in various forms such as independent research and wider reading to gain a deeper understanding on the topics studied.
ENRICHMENT AND EXTRA-CURRICULAR
Work experience placements and links to real-life Health and Social Care settings. Many students go on to be offered training or employment from work experience placements. Links with local community resources, the opportunity to see first-hand the provision in this country within the Health and Social Care field, and develop an area of interest and expertise.
Life after Christ's
Students will have the following progression routes available, including:
- Enter employment at trainee level, e.g. care assistant, playgroup assistant, healthcare assistant
- Enter employment and undertake a related NVQ at a level appropriate to the job role, e.g. NVQ Health and Social Care, NVQ Children’s Care, Learning and Development
- Undertake higher-level qualifications part-time or full-time in further or higher education