Christ's Achieves Gold for Sports
We are delighted to announce that Christ's School has been awarded the Sport England Gold Sportsmark - the only secondary school in Richmond Borough to achieve this.
The School has achieved this through the running of several initiatives and programmes led by the PE department, such as:
- an extensive extra-curricular programme that involves up to 180 students per day participating in sports before, during lunch and after school
- the school has forged strong links with several external sports clubs (including rowing and athletics) in order to offer pathways of progression outside of school
- a specific sports leadership programme where students are trained as Sports Leaders and represent the school across the borough at Primary events
- A, B & C sports team matches throughout the year
- a broad and engaging PE curriculum at Key Stages 3 & 4
- enrichment provision for Key Stage 5
The Sport England Gold Sportsmark is awarded to schools who offer a comprehensive extra-curricular programme, can demonstrate high participation rates, offer a broad variety of sports within the curriculum and provide opportunities for sport outside of practical participation.
The Sportsmark Gold award recognises those schools which show exceptional achievement, highly innovative schemes or outstanding progress in meeting their sporting aims.
Sportsmark is Sport England's accreditation scheme. It is a developmental and auditing tool that rewards and recognises a school for its;â
- Out of hours sports provision and a broad and balanced PE curriculum.
- The planned time given to physical education within the core curriculum.
- Breadth and balance within the core PE programme.
- The promotion of fair play and the encouragement of positive sporting attitudes.
- Opportunities for students to extend their experiences outside the core curriculum, in out-of-school-hours clubs and with other sports organisations.
- The opportunities for competition for students within and outside the school setting.
- The support given to talented performers.
- The development of sports partnerships within the community.
- Development targets for physical education and school sport.